Sunday, September 16, 2012

Quinoa and Garden Vegetables


I've bought quinoa before but I could never quite figure out what to put with it to make it taste good.  I liked the idea that it had a lot of protein (6g per 1/4 cup) and could be an interesting substitute for rice or noodles, but just couldn't quite get it right. My garden is starting to produce so I have a ton of cherry tomatoes and some cucumber to work into meals.  I was not only happy with the recipe I came up with, but I talked my oldest into trying it and she loved it too (no small feat with kids sometimes.)

Quinoa with Vegetables and Feta

1 cup cooked quinoa.
1 cup cherry tomatoes or diced tomatoes
1/2 cup diced cucumber
1 to 2 tablespoons of oregano
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 teaspoon garlic powder (I didn't have any garlic cloves, but this worked and didn't overpower the dish)
Olive oil
1/4 cup feta cheese

Cook quinoa according to package directions.  Make a couple of passes in a pan with the olive oil  and add tomatoes, cucumber, garlic and oregano. Saute on medium heat until tomatoes begin to burst and add mushrooms.  Using spatula, break up cooked tomatoes and mushroom slices into smaller pieces until cooked all the way and mixed together well.  Remove from heat and add cooked quinoa and feta, stirring well.  Salt and pepper to taste.

(I would put a picture of the plated dish on here, but we ate it all too quick.  Maybe next time I'll get a picture.)

No comments: