Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Beggars can be whatever they want.

There's a older man that hangs out in the parking lot of our local all-in-one shopping establishment with his dog, a full grown boxer (maybe a mix). I've seen him a few times and deduced that he's either a) homeless, b) jobless, c) bored or d) any or all of the above. Either way, today I thought maybe he and his pooch could use a little lunch so while I was in the store I got one of those Lunchable sandwich packs and a cheap can of dog food (with the flip-top just in case he didn't have a can opener). As I was leaving, I drove by where he sits and offered the food to both of them. He graciously took the sandwich, but refused the dog food saying his dog couldn't eat that brand because she was on a special diet. I asked what kind she eats and he told me. I told him I would try to remember that next time.

As I drove away, I have to admit, I was a bit confused by this exchange. Really Old-Man-who-hangs-out-in-a-parking-lot-all-day, you're going to turn down free dog food? But the more I considered it the more I could see why. Maybe she's got health problems and needs a better class of food. Maybe she's the only thing he's got in this world and he'll do whatever it takes to keep her happy and healthy and living as long as he can- including spending any money he has on the good food. Maybe he just simply refuses to let his circumstances prevent him from properly caring for his pet.

To this I say: No problem, Dude. You just keep on doing your thing and next time I'll get your dog some better food.

No comments: